Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Year's Day Project

Well with the return of my endometriosis I've experienced a surreal amount of enormous, uncomfortable and pregnant-looking bloating. With the fact that my case of endometriosis has made me unable to carry a baby, it is quite painful to look pregnant. What makes it even more emotional is when I'm out and about people will share congratulations, ask when I'm due, or even reach out and touch my belly. True, they are just expressing LOVE and genuine positivity; however, also true, it is incredibly painful to be put in such an uncomfortable position so frequently with strangers. I've expressed a wide gamet of responses, ranging from sarcasm, tears and inappropriate anger. The people offering me their sentiments do not deserve my sarcasm, but I also believe I don't deserve to have whatever healing I may have achieved to be ripped off and to feel so vulnerable by an encounter with a stranger. 



I've had several people give me advice on how to better handle this situation, especially since it will obviously continue until my problem is dealt with. One friend advised me to simply say "thank you"... I cannot do that because it simply isn't true, I am not thankful that yet again I'm reminded by a stranger that I look pregnant and all of the emotions that sets off within myself. Another friend suggested I simply explain that I'm not pregnant and I have endometriosis. That response is not only more true but adds a platform for education, but still leaves me with the emotional experience I go through when people ask.



This morning, fittingly, New Year's Day, I decided I would deal with this in my own style and way. Initially I tried to sew "no, I'm not pregnant, I have endometriosis"... however I'm not sure how I became so delusional as to think I could sew all of that- guess it could be the pain pills lol. Anyhow I did sew "no" and then stopped, realizing I have no sewing skills... I ended up getting a cute v-neck shirt and fabric paint markers. Much easier!! I have now finished one shirt that explains that I'm not pregnant, I have endometriosis. I'm geekishly excited about this and most definitely plan on making a few and will be wearing this first one tomorrow. Truly hoping this will put a stop to these incredibly uncomfortable, emotional encounters.

No comments:

Post a Comment