Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Tips for Getting Away (with endo)


Living life with endometriosis is hard, in each way: physically, emotionally, spiritually, etc. Everyone deserves to get away every so often, and with a disease such as endometriosis that need for relief can be even more significant. However, the thought of a vacation, no matter how simple, can seem daunting. 

Peace out! ;)


This morning, while experiencing significant physical pain I decided to get away for a few days. That in no way means that I am "better" or "healed", it simply means I needed to get away and I used determination to get away. And I feel it is soooo important to be able to do this, even when it feels impossible, so I figured I would share some tips I feel help me to be able to get away.



Tip #1: Don't forget to bring your medications. Now along with my standard rx medications, I also find equally important my vitamins, crystals, incense and essential oils, so I make sure to bring those all with me; anything I use at home. One time I came up to the mountains and forgot my medication, etc bag at home and ended up in the hospital the very first day, so I've learned that lesson the hard way!
My medication stash
Table-top altar- one of my favorite things to do 
My most frequently used essential oils:vetiver
breathe, women's monthly blend, serenity, digest-Zen
and elevation
My incense and Palo Santo sticks!

Tip #2: I also find I am prone to nausea while in the car. So it is important to know your limits, physically. I am not able to, without paying for it, go much further than about two hours in the car. Fortunately we have a home up in the mountains which is just about two hours from our house. If we didn't have such easy access to this, I would find anywhere within a two hour-ish range from home and make it a fun trip; maybe with girlfriends, or maybe by myself. Sometimes I need time away but time with girlfriends can be just as vital. It is important though, if traveling with friends, that they know and truly understand any limitations your current condition may impact your ability to do various things during your trip. For example, tomorrow I am going to attempt doing my first post-operative hike and my friend is already aware that our hike needs to be the least strenuous and I am unsure how long I will be able to go and she is fine with that--- for that I am so grateful.

And this is the beautiful scenery that I decided to soak in for a few days this week, beautiful Big Bear Lake.





Tip #3: With endometriosis and various conditions we may have, particular diets help and everyone is probably using different techniques. I have found that I am best on a low FODMAP diet which fortunately allows me to eat a lot of foods and drinks that I enjoy. I will pack snacks that are appropriate for my diet, along with a couple splurge items (I believe in order to not despise the diet, it is important to splurge every so often with a small item). Like this trip, I brought all my fruit from home so I can keep up on my fruit-infused water. The kind I made when I first got here today was a recipe I just saw and had yet to try is strawberry, blueberry and banana--- it is sooooooo yummy! Bringing my own snacks and ingredients and whatever I need, like my big jugs of alkaline water, makes it easier to stay on track, for if I stray off too far I will end up feeling significantly worse physically.



Tip #4: Another thing that I have found helpful during travels that happened to be coinciding with painful flare days is MOVEMENT. For me some movement that helps the most is YOGA. You may have a different mode for your own rejuvenation and health, such as walking, tai chi, pilates, etc. Yoga not only helps me for seeking physical relaxation, finding balance and conscious breath. So I always make sure I give myself some time at the beginning and ending of each day for my practice- it is the best way for me to begin and conclude my days. If you do not currently have some type of movement in your life, I definitely recommend exploring different options and utilizing whatever is the most helpful for you.


On one of my hikes up in Big Bear I stopped all of a sudden and felt I needed to take a breath. I did. When I opened my eyes I saw a piece of confetti heart-shaped right at my feet. It was such a special moment- I truly thought my dad who passed nearly two years ago sent it down to me. He used to love coming up to the mountains!



Tip #5: Make sure you have plenty of activities to do inside, for those times that you need to keep quiet and stay "home." I love writing (DUH!) and so I always bring both my laptop and a writing pad, I also bring a coloring book just in case I get the urge to color. I also bring a lot of books. It can help not only make the inside time less boring but even more than that it can make it more enjoyable.



Unfortunately I am writing this from the couch and am in significant pain. I actually have tears streaming down my face. I've followed each of my tips and I know I've done what I can. I am just going to relax this evening and work on a technique I introduced in a blog a few weeks ago entitled What Else?, Part One, where we focus on what else is true, aside from how much pain we're in, in order to change our focus and attention.

Well I'm signing off to relax and hopefully find some peace, both emotionally an physically. If you find yourself discovering additional travel tips please feel free to share here and if I come across any others myself I will update this post.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I hope this post has helped you to be able to enjoy traveling, while still experiencing your disease.



With peace and love,

Stephanie


 


No comments:

Post a Comment